welcome

welcome

Friday, June 3, 2016

Sea Spirit




I smile o'er the wrinkled blue
Lo! the sea is fair,
Smooth as the flow of a maiden's hair;
And the welkin's light shines through
Into mid-sea caverns of beryl hue,
And the little waves laugh and the mermaids sing,
And the sea is a beautiful, sinuous thing!

     ~ excerpt from The Sea Spirit by Lucy Maud Montgomery~

     
    One weekend with our first houseguests, we took a picnic to the Carmel River State Beach.  It was quiet being late Winter, but even so there were a few brave souls in swimsuits at the waters edge.  It's not a beach to be taken lightly as the waves can be huge and pounding on the shore.  The mommy in me did have concern for the children when the sea foam flowed in swiftly where they were prancing on their toes.  They had no care in the world as they splashed back with their slim arms, teasing the sea.


     What a lovely place!  From left to right your eye wanders and seeks the relentless swells that surge towards the beach.  How big will the next wave be?  There is a fair clip to the wind and as the waves crest a steady spray sweeps back to the sea.  I have great respect for waves.  I've been tumbled over and under as a teen near Santa Cruz attempting to body surf.  You sense and wait for the water to recede then you struggle to rise as the surge going out pulls on your body.  Spewing sea water, as I somehow always got plenty in my mouth, and wondering how much sand is in my bathing suit.  I was never very good at body surfing, still I'm amazed that I tried as the water is quite cold.  But this beach is not for body surfing.  No sir.  As if on cue, a lifeguard walks about telling people not go in the surf.  


     To the left in the distance you can see the Santa Lucia Mountains that rise sharply as they go along the coast towards Big Sur and beyond.  Extending your vision slightly towards the right you can see the incredibly beautiful Point Lobos State Park.   Moving ones eyes back to the left is the Carmel River inlet and lagoon.  It is here that as a child I came with friends and played upon it's shores.  I don't know if one is allowed to play as we did in the lagoon but back in the 60's it was safe and perfect to make sand castles, or float in the water on a big black inner tube.  We didn't have colorful pool floats that we all seem to have these days.  Several of us could cling to the edge of one, kicking joyfully all the while.  We never went far being so young.  I suppose our parents must have made it clear where our limits of paddling around were. 


     The weather changes rapidly from warm, to cool, to quite windy and back to warm.  I never know what to wear when we come to our Carmel home.  I'm learning, slowly, to bring a bit of everything but also to remember it will never get as hot as back in Danville on a summer day.  My friend and I brought our cameras and take photo after photo of what draws our eyes as well as our creative spirits.  

    
     

     We walk to the right of the shore towards the rocks that seem to rise to enormous proportions on the point.  I have climbed these rocks many, many times in my youth.  I had forgotten how the ocean swell is right on the other side and how miraculously I never fell in!  Apparently I'm becoming a wimp with age.  I climb here and there, cognizant of my hesitate state of clambering, excusing myself since I'm carrying my camera around my neck and don't wish to bang it on the rocks.  Ha!  I see how rusty I am at climbing!  

    I treasure each time we are here by the sea.  For here my heart opens in ways that I'm just beginning to understand.  Maybe a healing of my spirit.  Maybe a door that has opened for my recent writer's block.  Maybe a place where my Love and I find a deeper level for our relationship.   

No comments:

Post a Comment