welcome

welcome

Sunday, July 3, 2016

Sea Song Movie Night ~ Jaws!


   Oh come on!   It's summer and what would summer mean without thinking of sun, sand, heat, sunbather's, and sharks!

    It was released June of 1975, the year I would become a senior in High School and up until then I had no problem with being in the ocean.  My dear friend Amy was visiting me from Pennsylvania and we went to see it with my then boyfriend and future husband Tim, his dad and his brother at a matinee.  I had no idea what to expect other than a movie about a Great White Shark that wreaks mayhem and fear in a small coastal town.  It was the blockbuster film for summer and  it lived up to every gory, nightmare inducing, fear of what lies below the surface of water moment that would alter how we look at sharks forever.

    This was one of my favorite scenes.....




The music.....just hearing those deep notes sent me gripping the theater seats.


 


   I must have jumped out of the seat a dozen times during that movie and the boys thought it was a hoot.  Scream?!  Yes!  Heart racing?  Yes!  A part of me kept hoping it would end soon and yet it kept going and more bodies and more blood.  A bit like being on a roller coaster and realizing that maybe you should't be on that ride.  Somehow Amy and I survived the ordeal.

   We went back to Tim's parents home where his mom had made an Angel Food Cake with fresh strawberries and whipped cream.  It sort of soothed my stressful afternoon.  The boys of course had to share the highlights of the movie with Betty and relay how Amy and I were scared of everything that happened whenever music or the shark came into a scene.

    Did I ever watch the movie again?  Years and years later I did, at home, on our by today's standards little TV.  The movie still gets to me.

Happy 4th of July!

No comments:

Post a Comment