welcome

welcome

Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Waves




My gentle Puck, come hither.  Thou rememberest
since once I sat upon a promotory
and heard a mermaid on a dolphin's back
uttering such dulcet and harmonious breath
that the rude sea grew civil at her song
and certain stars shot madly from their spheres
to hear the seamaid's music?

~Excerpt from A Midsummer Nights Dream~



     There are times when we walk upon the beach that I am entranced by the waves as they break.  To watch them begin far from shore, the rise of the swell, the wondering how big the wave will grow.  I have seen what might become a huge wave only to flow forward in a soft break where the sea foam sizzles into the sand.  Perhaps the next shall rise up as though a sea serpent lurks beneath the deep blue depth.  And then you see it.  The powerful build up of the swell that grows and grows and the crest of the wave rises higher until it can no longer contain it's purpose of grappling the smooth sand that awaits.  

    




     I have embraced the calm sea that quiets my soul.  Felt the chill of the fog that circles toward land, encompassing my human frame as it finds the slimmest of passages through my clothes.  I shiver not just for this cool unseen hand that makes goose bumps rise, but for how alive I feel by the unknown presence this vast sea embodies my weaknesses and my strengths.  All without words. 

     I am here.  
        Empty me. 
            Fill me hypnotic sea dream.



1 comment:

  1. love especially your final three lines...so poetic...

    ReplyDelete